After that meeting, we started building our final project by laser cutting acrylic to make the entire body, the frames. two planes, and the gears used to move the planes. The two flat planes where made by weaving metal wire through the acrylic frame so that the two planes had square grids on them, which were slightly misaligned. This was so that the tubes that would be collecting the sunlight could sit on the bottom grid and move freely. Our idea was that the tubes, for real use, would have fiber optic wires in them that would allow the collected sunlight to travel through the tubes and be focused onto a solar panel below. The wire mess second plane would allow for the wires to come out of the bottom of the tubes and the tubes would still be free moving. Images of the final built project are below. They show the top and bottom planes, the gear system with the servos used to move them attached, and the entire body of the project. The image quality is bad due to the fact that I took these on my phone.
Our group also made a Digital Project version of our idea, but enhanced the idea by making sure the tubes in the system never over shadowed each other. Meaning that as the tubes rotate and follow the sun, the tubes in the back row (farthest away from the sun) will actually be the tallest and the rows will decrease in height to make a flat plane that places the sun, thus eliminating shadows and optimizing light harvesting. Plus throughout the day the tubes will create a wave motion ontop of a building, or where ever the system is used. Our group wanted to use this system for urban projects, that's why we tried to bring a visual aspect to our project as well.